I’m heading out with my family on vacation this weekend so I thought it was the perfect time to write up a little plan on how I intend to stay on track all week. I admit I’ve been having a little bit of a harder time this past week so I need a strategy for how to tackle being away from my routine. We are going on a cruise so lots of challenges but also lots of opportunities.
1. Sign up-I like to check to see if there are any races where I am traveling to. Running through a city is a great way to see the sights and increase your fitness. No race? I check out local fitness studios to see if there is a class that might be different or fun. I am going to be in NYC for 2 days so I signed up for a Soul Cycle class. Knowing that I’ve paid in advance for a race or class, guarantees that I will show up.
2. Healthy Snacks-My husband loves to make fun of me for this! I always pack a few of my go to healthy snacks in my bag. “What they don’t have granola bars in NY?”, he would say. Yes of course they do however, when I am hungry I don’t want to have to go off and find exactly what I am looking for when I want it. It’s too easy to stumble into say a cupcake store-LOL.
3. Don’t drink your calories-Sure it’s totally fine to have a glass of wine with dinner, cocktail at the pool or Holiday party but those calories can really add up over the course of a week. I plan to budget my lattes and wine and make sure that I still drink plenty of water.
4. Pack it in-My husband makes fun of me for this one too but I always pack a resistance band and a mini foam roller in my bag. I am never sure what a hotel gym might have. I know I can do lots on my own with a few resistance bands and my own body weight. Having a few go to exercises and the never ending ideas on Pinterest, I have no excuse not to exercise.
5. Bump it up-Maybe you usually do a morning run so why not add in an afternoon walk with your family? Check out the neighbors holiday lights. Headed to the mall? Park even farther away and get in few more steps on those trackers. Adding in a little something extra can make a big difference.
Have fun! The Holidays are all about family and fun after all!
Traveling this Holiday Season? Any tips for me?