On Sunday I ran the Run For the Parks 10k (DC) for the first time. There are a few DC races that use the same course and I have always had good luck with them in the past. I’ve been struggling with injuries on and off this year and after my not so stellar Army 10 Miler run a few weeks ago, I was excited to see how I would feel today.
1. PR Racing always puts on a great race. Packet pick up is a breeze in their store the day before. It helps that the store is next to a Peets’s Coffee shop. Getting to and parking at the race on a Sunday morning is super easy. The porta potties were super clean-bonus!
2. Extra Sleep- What better day to do a race then on Daylight savings? Most certainly enjoyed that extra hour of sleep. I don’t know about you but I always have trouble sleeping the night before a race.
3. Built in Carb loading-Doing a race Halloween weekend really lets you put those extra carbs to good use! I had a few extra mini Reese’s peanut butter cups just to make sure 🙂
4. Race Swag-PR races usually have great swag and this time instead of a shirt we received a great Technical half zip. The material is great and I can’t wait to run in it. bonus we also received a nice finisher’s pin.
5. National Parks-Proceeds from this race benefit The National Parks in DC. All of the monuments and Mall area are part of the National Parks. Living in the DC area, I tend to take for granted all the amazing historic sights. Doing this race, I am reminded how much I am missing out on by not visiting more often.
6. Flat & Fast-This course is very flat and in the past I’ve had some great PR’s on it. I wasn’t expecting that today due to the aforementioned injuries, and I never know how I am going to feel until I start running. Despite the brutal wind coming off of the Potomac River today, I was able to maintain a much better pace than I had expected. Nothing hurt today when I ran and the cool temps made for great running. I ended up having one of my best races in a long time so I will take that. Many of my friends had PR’s today and it is always great to be there with them.
7. Meet ups-I love having the chance to meet up with and race with other MRTT moms from other chapters. We had a pretty big group today and they make for a built in cheer squad. Twice during the race, I heard someone yell, “MRTT” and it just makes me smile.
8. Race teams- This race always has a big contingent from the local race teams. It always amazes me to watch them run and realize that while I am at mile 2 they have already passed the turnaround and are heading back to the finish. There are some seriously impressive men & women out there. So inspiring!
9. Opportunities-You never know how you are going to feel on any given run. I haven’t felt this good on a race in a while and for that I’m grateful.
10. I love a 1oK-Probably one of my favorite race distances. It is fairly easy to stay in shape for & doesn’t wipe you out for the rest of the day.
All in all, a pretty good race!
How about you-do you love a 10K?
PS-Remember to check out my Blog Hop giveaway for a Run Mino