I participated in 2 Relay Race events recently, The DC Ragnar race and a Sprint Triathlon Relay. I loved them both for many of the same reasons. Here are my top 5
1. Get a taste of a Tri-If you are thinking about doing a Tri race and not sure about how all of the logistics work, “tri”ing one as part of a relay team is a great way to see how it all works. You have the opportunity to watch the swimmers and bikers come in and get an idea of how everything flows. Bonus: you only have to train for one of the legs.
2. Cute Matching Team Outfits- Yes that’s so important! We literally spent hours planning these.
3. Team Motivation-You know you are out there as part of team. You are not competing for only yourself. When you start to feel tired or discouraged, you remember that you are part of a team that needs you to do your part. This was incredibly important to me at both races. During my team tri, my chain fell off my bike and I had to pull over to fix it. I had a “I’m not going to lose this for our team” moment and just fixed it. Had I been on my own, I may have gotten very discouraged.
4. Opportunity to Excel- I don’t know about you, but I don’t usually (ok ever) get called up to the podium for an award of any kind. However, our team crushed the tri race and we came in 2nd place in our division. Such an amazing moment made so much better because it was shared with friend.
5. Built in Cheer Leaders-During Ragnar, running at crazy hours in crazy places, your team members drive by you on each of your runs cheering, honking & shaking their cow bells. In fact, the other teams will also cheer you on in the same way. You are constantly receiving support and encouragement in a way that doesn’t happen when you run a traditional race.
Bonus reason: Your team mates become even better friends 🙂
Ever done a Relay Race? Did I miss any reasons to love them?