Time for another round of fabulous Meatless Monday posts with myself & Tina Muir Please check out all of the great recipes from your hostesses and the link ups below.
Today I am bringing you a twist on the regular quiche recipe by using Spaghetti Squash as the crust to up the nutritional value and decrease the fat and calories. This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian and can be vegan if you omit the cheese. Hope you enjoy! It takes some time to prepare but trust me, it’s worth it.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 oz Sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 4 oz fresh spinach
- 3 eggs & 3 egg whites
- 2 oz Goat cheese (optional)
- 2 tbl Parmesean cheese grated
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice squash in half vertically and scrape out seeds with a spoon
- Place flesh side down in a glass dish with 2 inches of water
- cover with plastic wrap and microwave 10-14 min depending on size squash
- Allow to cool & scrape out “spaghetti” and drain in colander to remove excess water
- Spread into a pie pan (sprayed with Pam)
- Sprinkle on parmesean cheese, salt, pepper & garlic and bake a 400 degrees for 45 minutes until crust starts to brown
- Meanwhile, prepare filling:
- finely chop or add to food processor: sun dried tomatoes and spinach-set aside
- whisk together eggs and egg whites with salt, pepper & garlic
- Add veggies to crust, then pour on egg mixture & sprinkle on goat cheese if desired
- Bake a 375 for 40 minutes until set
What’s your favorite type of quiche? Do you like to eat left over’s for breakfast?