We all have some Race Day rituals that may sound a little wacky to non-runners.
1. We call these our “flat mamas” -our race day outfits all laid out without us in them. We encourage our members to do this the night before a race for 2 reasons. First, it really helps to make sure that you have everything you need when you see it all laid out. I typically do everything from race bibs to shoes to glasses to water bottles. Secondly, we post our pics on our FB page so the other members can cheer us on.
2. I set 2 alarms-why? I have no idea and I never do this except for when I have a race. I have never slept through an alarm-ever. I never sleep the night before a race whether it is a local 5k or a large half marathon-doesn’t matter I toss and turn all night.
3. I always drink a Gatorade the day before a race to make sure I am sufficiently hydrated. It’s always been my go to sports drink.
4. Race day breakfast is always peanut butter and jelly on a whole wheat bagel or bread. What’s better than that?!
5. I have to tie my shoes twice with triple knots (no once, not 3x but always 2x) and then I have to go to the porta potty 2 times. So I’ve been known to pee and then get right back in line to do it again.
Wow all of this makes me sound very obsessive compulsive! Races make me so nervous and I start inventing scenarios of dread.
Do you have any wacky Race Day rituals? Tell me it’ll be our little secret!