This is one of my favorite summertime recipes. It’s light and versatile and very satisfying for a lunch or dinner. I’ve used tempeh as my protein source but you can easily sub that out with shrimp or chicken or tofu. It’s vegetarian, dairy free and gluten free. Hope you enjoy!
Some helpful hints:
It does take some playing around with the rice paper wraps to achieve success. Similar to preparing a burrito, it is important not to try to cram too much into each wrap. They are delicate so you need to take it slow and careful the first few times. You can use any brand of rice paper wraps.
I saute the whole package of Tempeh then use it throughout the week in salads and stir fry dishes.
I find it easiest to line up all of the veggies together so that it is easier to fill them.
Using jarred garlic and ginger saves tons of time
- For the rolls:
- 1 package of Asian rice papers (summer roll wrappers) any brand
- 1 package tempeh (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 avocado
- 2-3 mini cucumbers-sliced into small strips
- 2-4 small red, yellow or orange peppers-sliced into small strips
- 1 Cup of chopped red/white cabbage (can buy already washed & bagged)
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- For Peanut sauce:
- 2 tbl smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbl rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp siracha (use less for milder sauce)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 tbl water
- Saute the tempeh in large skillet w a touch of olive oil about 5 min on each side until brown
- While waiting, prepare and slice the veggies into thin small strips-set aside
- To soften the rice papers: Fill a saute pan with 1 inch of very hot water and soak the paper 1 at a time for about 20 seconds
- CAREFULLY remove the paper and set onto a cutting board
- Fill each wrapper with an assortment of veggies, avocado, protein and cilantro
- Fold the bottom half up, fold each side in then roll up as you would a burrito.
- Slice in half and place on a plate.
- Repeat for each roll
- For Spicy Peanut sauce:
- Wisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Add water to reach desired consistency
- serve alongside for dipping
I’m adding my recipe to my friend Tina’s Meatless Monday linkup so please check out her blog for awesome posts as well http://www.tinamuir.com/
What’s your favorite protein to put into a summer roll?