I’m linking up with April, Patty & Erika for their Tuesday’s on The Run Series. This week I am in Aspen, Colorado with my husband and some friends. If you haven’t been to Colorado in the summer it’s gorgeous! Pictures to come soon. Every time we go on vacation I get a little nervous about keeping up my fitness routine while still having time to enjoy the vacation. I also tend to have some altitude issues here so we’ll have to see how that goes.
I’ve come up with a plan for this week & some tips that might help you as well:
1. Do some advance work-I have already checked out the hotel to see what fitness equipment they have. I’ve also checked out a nearby gym and secured a day pass. Looks like they have a TRX class that will work for me as well as a strength training class. I usually do strength training 2-3 times per week so this will keep me on my schedule.
2. Try something new– We plan to go White Water Rafting one day which my husband and friends will do with me. It’s a little out of my comfort zone but I’m in. We are also planning a hike later in the week. Not something I usually do but expect it to be a great workout.
3. Find a Race to hop into-I happened to notice that the Komen Race for the Cure 5k/10k is in Aspen this Saturday. The race start is about a block from my hotel so I pretty much have to run it right?? I typically have some trouble running here with the altitude but I figured why not? If I am slower, who cares? It will be beautiful and it’s for a good cause. It’s always fun to do races when you travel.
4. Stretch and hydrate- I always travel with my small foam roller so I can keep up with my stretch routine. Doing different activities is great but I need to remember to stretch. Having access to the gym will give me no excuse to skip the stretch. As I mentioned, the altitude here can be rough so I always try to drink more and drink beverages with electrolytes. I am not a big drinker in general but I also limit my alcohol intake to head off any dehydration.
5. Think about your meals-Knowing that I will be eating out 3 meals a day for 6 days, I need to think about my meals so I don’t over do it. I try to eat my regular breakfast and lunch meals and splurge a little at dinner. My hubby is a big foodie and restaurant guy so I try to go along when we travel.
6. Be flexible-I will try to remember that my friends and family may not be as rigid or structured about their exercise and eating as I am. I may have to alter my usual schedule a little so I am not totally annoying!
7. Cut yourself a break!-This can be the hardest one of all! Remembering that I am on vacation after all so if I don’t get in all of my runs or usual workouts it’s ok. The world will not come to an end. (I think). I am going to try to relax my eating rules a little too. Yes, hubby I did just say that!
This is my plan for this week so we’ll see how it goes! How do you plan for vacation fitness?