When I received my June Foodie Pen Pal this month from Michelle, at Bombsquad Fitness , I was surprised and excited to receive a boxful of Asian goodies from her trip to Chinatown. So I was inspired to make this Tempeh Edamame Rice Noodle Salad (scroll down for recipe) and it was so good. If you haven’t tried Tempeh yet it is a nutritional powerhouse. Check it out here.
One serving of Tempeh has:
- 18 grams of Protein .
- Zero sugar
- 1 gram of saturated fat
- low sodium
- 5. High potassium
- low calorie (140 c)
- Great source of iron
Coupled with the edamame in this salad and you’ve got a high protein, healthy vegetarian meal.
- 1 package of rice noodles
- 1/4 c sesame oil
- 1/2 c rice vinegar
- splash of Ponzu sauce (can sub with soy sauce)
- 1 tsp of chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- squirt of Siracha
- 1 package of tempeh (cubed)
- 1c shelled edamame
- 1/2 c red & yellow peppers cut into strips
- garnish with unsalted cashews
- Cook rice noodles according to package-rinse w cold water and drain
- While noodles are cooking, saute tempeh in a splash of olive oil until browned about 5 min. set aside.
- combine sesame oil, vinegar, ponzu, garlic, ginger, siracha set aside.
- In a large bowl add noodles, tempeh, edamame & peppers
- pour on dressing and combine
- sprinkle on cashews right before serving-Enjoy!
Note**If you use a Gluten free Ponzu or soy sauce, this is a gluten free recipe-bonus!
I received a couple of other Asian goodies in the box and I am excited to try them out as well. If you’d like to participate in the July Foodie Pen Pals check out the info at Lean Green Bean
Have you tried Tempeh? What do you make with it?