Ah…Summer is finally here! After such a long, hard winter this year I was counting the days. Not too long ago we were wondering where spring was and well today we get this.
1. Do a DU– Summer is the perfect time to mix it up a little. Consider swimming laps before going for a run. This cools down your core body temp before you hit the pavement. Bonus you’re 2/3 way to a triathlon!
2. Go for a bike ride– Taking a spin class on super hot days provides you with great cross training and air conditioning. Have to be outside? So do I! Somehow riding a bike outdoors in 100 degree heat does not get to me as much as running. Perhaps it’s the breeze in your face as you fly downhill.
3. Adjust your expectations-Consider ditching the watch and going by perceived exertion. Realize that running in extreme humidity means slowing your pace.
4. Ice up!-Some studies have shown that drinking an icy beverage pre run cools your internal temp just enough to give you boost when you need it. Carry icy water with you and hydrate more often than you normally would. Bump up those electrolytes and monitor for any signs of heat exhaustion.
5. Adapt & Embrace– Remember that it takes a few weeks to adapt to the heat, just as it did to the extreme cold. Listen to your body and rest when needed. The first few runs of the summer are way harder than the last few. Enjoy the longer days, the greenery and the overall happiness summer brings. It has been said that training through the summer heat leads to fall PR’s-something to daydream about on those runs!
What tips do you have for beating the heat? Do you alter your workouts in the summer months?