I’m so excited to participate this week in my first Better With Veggies MMAZ Challenge! (Meatless Monday A to Z Challenge).
I was a little freaked out when I saw the letter was “X” until Heather announced that “Xocolatl” was chocolate in the Aztec language. Heather I love you already!
I’ve toyed around with a few protein muffin recipes I’ve seen and created what I believe are the best Chocolate Protein Muffins
They are super easy to make and freeze really well. I make them in a traditional muffin tin, freeze them and take them out when ever I need a filling snack. I often have them after a workout with a glass of milk or in as an afternoon pick me up with a cup of coffee. Note I’ve used a Splenda Brown Sugar blend to reduce the amount of sugar by about half as well as significantly reduce the calories.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 C Smart Balance Vegetable Oil
- 1 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 scoops of your Chocolate Protein Powder (I like Whole Foods Brand)
- 4 oz of unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2/3 unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 C Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz chopped Dark Chocolate ( I used Ghiradelli for baking)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tins with paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, brown sugar blend, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil, egg whites, buttermilk and vanilla. Add in apple sauce.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
- Equally divide between 12 muffins. Bake for approx 18 m in. Insert toothpick to test should come out clean. Do not over cook! Cool on wire rack. Pop into a ziploc and freeze. To defrost 20 seconds on defrost setting of microwave. Easy!
I’d love to know if you give them a try. Trust me they are so good!