I’m joining up with the amazing DC Trifecta again to bring you the Friday Five things I love about Indoor Cycling (and a Yummy Quinoa Cakes recipe at the bottom)
“You walk into a room amid a sea of water bottles, bright colored spandex and a buzzing crowd of excited participants. You place your towel down, adjust your bike, hop on and take a deep breath. You give the person on the bike next to you a knowing nod. You’re in this together. You both know that you’re going to walk out of the room in less than an hour a stronger, healthier version of yourself. For the next 45 minutes, you have nothing else going on. No meetings, no text messages, no one needing to be picked up. It’s just you and a bike.
The room goes dark, the music starts. You start pedaling. Faster and faster. Your body becomes warm, a drop of sweat leaves your forehead. You feel your heart rate start to elevate. The tension in your mind starts to melt away.
You’re present. You’re in this. You’re ready” (ACSM Oct 2013)
1. Great Cross training for runners:
We all wish we could run every day but obviously most of us can’t. Cycling is a low impact, time efficient way to increase your leg endurance and strength. You’re working your quads, hamstrings and calves while being easy on the joints. You are building up muscle and increasing bone density.
2. Social- Anyone can do indoor cycling! It doesn’t matter what your fitness level is because you work at your own resistance and pace. You can be sitting right next to your bestie who smokes you at every race and you are going the pace today. It’s low impact and most importantly NOT WEATHER DEPENDENT!! Indoor cycling got me through some of those horrible Polar Vortex days because I hate the treadmill.
3. Sweaty Mess-How else can you burn 600-800 calories while sitting on your ass?! I love leaving class dripping in sweat and feeling great.
4. Cardio & Psychological benefits: you are getting 45-60 min of pure cardio thus increasing the strength of your heart and lung capacity. Your metabolism is increasing by the moment. The psychological benefit of endorphins rushing through your body is a great stress reliever.
5. Discover new music-I often hear new music or remixes that I go home and download. Part of the fun of class is getting lost in the music and singing in your head.
So those are 5 of the many reasons why I love Indoor cycling-What are your favorites?
As promised here is another one of my go to quinoa recipes. They are a great side dish or lunch. I also like to eat the left overs for breakfast with eggs. Hope you like them too.
- 1 c quinoa -cook according to package
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs (this gives them a crispy texture)
- 1 package fresh spinach
- 1 package mushrooms of choice
- 6oz goat cheese
- 1 egg
- garnish with avocado and salsa
- cook quinoa according to package
- At the same time, saute mushrooms and spinach until soft
- mix quinoa, veggies, egg, goat cheese and Panko in a med bowl
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste
- Divide mixture to form 6 patties (similar to a crab cake etc)
- Heat a grill pan or large skillet and coat with olive oil
- Pan fry the patties until they turn brown, flip and repeat
- Serve with avocado and salsa
Make sure to check out the posts by my fabulous hosts as well
Courtney from http://eatprayrundc.com/
Cynthia from http://www.yousignedupforwhat.com/
Mar from http://www.marontherun.com/
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Friday!